MetadataShow full item record
Document typeEducation resource
Why do disasters happen? Can they be prevented? What can be done to help?
This cross-curricular resource for 11-14 year olds features detailed background information, case study material, and lesson plans to help you tackle these questions in your classroom.
Activities cover floods, earthquakes, hurricanes and famine. There is also some useful case study material about Bangladesh.
- Explore initial ideas and understanding about disasters
- Find out how those affected by disasters cope
- Consider the importance of short and long-term responses to disasters
- Discuss the causes of and solutions to disasters
- Think critically about the ways in which disasters are presented by the media
Owing to the publication date of this resource, some of the content (including statistics and links) may need updating.